Monday, September 30, 2013

What is our Purpose of being?

Why Are We here? Do we have a great purpose in life? Why do we live?

 Are we just animals who eat, sleep and breed because we were made to do that? Is the world really governed solely by the laws of survival of the fittest? Probably animals with bigger brains but still the same basic instincts? I believe that we all have asked ourselves that question at some point of our lives. A reason for living gives us a sense of purpose. A sense of being. Is life really worth it when you are caught in an endless cycle of "Work to live" and "Live to work"?

After I left school and got my first job, I realised firsthand how pointless our existences can be. When you were young you were promised a good life if you got a good education. If you poured your heart and soul into your education you can be happy, because you'll have lots of money. Lots of time. You'll retire early and have a big houses, cars and everything money can buy. I was one of the fortunate ones. I was blessed to able to live my dream and by extension earn a very handsome salary. But why is it that I feel empty? that I feel that life is pointless?

 The Bible tells us that we are made in God's image. More so our eternal souls than our physical bodies ( but since no one has really seen God the Father in his physical form yet, I wonder if he really has 2 eyes, 2 ears and a mouth). Our souls make us yearn for something that money can never buy. We have a sense of right and wrong. A yearning that we want to change the world. To make a difference. Deep inside, every one of us knows the truth in this. Knows that we were made for something bigger than just living, working and buying stuff. We have a God shaped hole in our lives. A hole that we try to fill with everything from money to relationships to our professions.

 We live to glorify our Almighty Creator and ultimately to serve a great purpose in His grand design. I find it funny. To those who have no money, they think that having money is the last part of the equation. That if they had that all their problems would go away. That is only partially true. Yes, many of people's problems will go away when they have money, but other problems will present themselves. For me, I was blessed to have enough from the start. I never knew a day of starvation like so many others out there. Still I find myself wanting. When I was young, I wanted so badly to be a pilot. Thinking that if I managed to pursue my lifelong passion for flying that my life would be complete. I got there, but still I yearned for something more. Recently I asked a Christian friend why did I feel this way. Surprisingly he said, I suppose the next logical step would be to get married? Haha. I disagree. I think the only reason that I want to be married is because I am not already married. That when I get there, once again I will feel myself wanting. That it isn't the be all and end all. The point is, that every one of us needs to fill that God shaped hole with what was meant to be there. Only God will never disappoint us. Ultimately, only He will remain faithful. We should never put our faith in things other than God. Never put your faith in your career, your spouse or even your boss...no matter how good he is to you. Ultimately, we're all sinners and sinners will fail. Only God never disappoints, even though he puts us through so many trying times, I believe that ultimately his Good will shine through. This is after all, God's world.

 I pray that my heart will be in the right place. That ultimately, I'll put my faith solely on Him and not on other things. If and when the time comes for me to let go of my cushy existance, I pray that I will have the courage to do the right thing. I pray that I do not merely talk the talk, but walk it as well.
 I believe that Jesus says it very well:

 57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
 58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” 59 He said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
 60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
 61 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”
 62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”

 Closing words, put your heart in the right place. Let your heart lie with Christ and do not get bogged down by the cares of this world. Hard words..but I believe them to be true.

No comments: